To paint an arch on your wall, you will need:
- Tin of each of your chosen paint colors, with a contrasting shade for the arch
- x1 large roller and tray
- x1 small roller and tray
- Spirit level
- Measuring tape
- Ball of string
- Masking tape
- 1.5” paint brush
1. For an instant preview of what your color choices could look like in your room, download the free Visualizer app.
2. Narrowed it down to a few shades? Try them out with our mess-free and easy-to-use testers to discover your perfect color combination.
3. Apply your background color first, using a roller to cover a large surface area. Create M and W shapes as you roll to achieve an even coverage. Once the paint is completely dry (this can take from 2-4 hours), you’re ready to start your arch.
4. First, cut a long length of string and attach keys to one end.
5. Use masking tape, stick the string to the wall at the right height for the side of your arch. Cover the string with chalk and ping against the wall to make a chalk-line guide. Mask along this line with tape.
6. Decide on the width of your arch and, using a spirit level, make a mark for the top of the the other side at the same height. Repeat the process above.
7. Measure the gap between the two sides and mark the mid-point.
8. Attach a pencil to the end of a length of string. Pin the string at the mid-point between the two sides so that the pencil reaches the top of both side lines.
9. Draw a semi-circle to form the top of your arch, then carefully paint the outline using a paintbrush. Fill in the rest of the arch using a roller.
10. Gently remove the masking tape while the paint is still slightly wet.
Looking for more inspiration on clever wall color ideas using this technique? Here are four ways you can bring a beautiful arch into your home:
1. Simple and stylish zoning with a paint-effect arch