From refurbishing a tired chair to updating your favorite table, painting furniture can be a fun and rewarding experience. It’s a great way to tie in a new color scheme or give a space a quick and easy new look. Our Dulux furniture paint is also highly durable and scratch resistant.
- Dulux Paint for Furniture
- Masking tape
- Paint tray
- Sand paper, sanding block and possibly electric sander
- Vacuum cleaner
- Paint stirrer
- Get started by protecting your working area and place your piece of furniture in the middle. Then, unscrew or cover any handles, knobs and hinges.
- Next, for pre-painted furniture remove any loose or flaky paint and give it a light sand. Using a sanding block for large flat areas will make it easier to achieve a consistent finish.
- Remove any dust and wipe your furniture down with some degreaser and wait for it to dry.
You can say goodbye to priming with Dulux Paints – all it takes is two coats to transform your furniture.
- Give your Dulux paint a good stir and pour it into the paint tray. For furniture with curves and detailing, start by painting the smaller areas with a brush, then switch to a roller for larger surfaces.
Top tip: For a smooth finish, use a brush and roller made for wooden surfaces.
- Check your paint tin for recommended drying times between each coat. It may be that you can plan a creative weekend of mini makeovers or even squeeze in a project after work and spread it over a few evenings while you wait for things to dry. In between coats, simply put your brush and roller in a plastic bag to keep them moist, so you can use them again without having to wash up twice.
- Repeat the first step for your second coat and then let your furniture dry thoroughly. Try to avoid moving or cleaning it for 10 days after applying paint. This will help allow the paint to really soak in to the wood grain.
- Remove as much paint as you can from your brush, roller and tray.
- Give them a thorough wash in water, there’s no need to use white spirit.
- Firmly close the paint tin and store in a dry and frost-free environment.
Need some inspiration? Take a look at some of our favorite furniture makeovers.